Gorging on asparagus

I know it makes your pee smell. I know it's quite expensive in comparison to other vegetables. I know it doesn't take much effort to cook it. But, my oh my, do I love asparagus, and I will gorge myself on it every damn year for the brief time it is in season. My first post was borne out of that love as well, so I'm aware this blog could look like a bit of a love letter to asparagus, but it's just because the timing of me starting this blog perfectly aligned with asparagus season.

This year, I'm also trying to get past my dislike of new potatoes. I don't know why I've never particularly warmed to them, maybe it's childhood memories of having them boiled with a little bit of butter and not much else. A friend cooked me dinner recently and served them covered with melted Gruyere which definitely went some way to making me think they're not that terrible, so I found myself picking up a handful to use myself. 

Armed with the potatoes, delicious asparagus, and then blowing the rest of my food budget on some sea bream fillets, I was forced to come up with the rest of dinner using whatever I had at home. And thus, this meal was born.


Sea bream on crushed new potatoes and bacon with asparagus and a shallot, horseradish, pea, and white wine sauce

Serves 2

150g new potatoes
2 rashers bacon, diced
150g spinach
200g asparagus, woody ends removed
2 skinless sea bream fillets
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
100ml white wine
2 tablespoons horseradish cream
50g frozen peas
250ml chicken stock
Salt
Pepper
Oil


1. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 5. Place a large piece of foil (enough to cover the bottom of the tray twice when folded) on a baking tray and drizzle with a little oil. Put the fish on, cover with a little more oil, then season with salt and pepper. Fold the rest of the foil over the top and seal the edges together. Leave to one side

2. In a pan, bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the new potatoes for 15 minutes until cooked.

3. For the sauce, fry the shallots and garlic in some oil until soft, but not coloured. Pour the wine in and turn the heat up until it reduces. Add the horseradish cream and stir until all mixed together. Add the stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer to thicken up.

4. Now, put the fish in the oven. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the fillet, but usually between 12 - 15 minutes.

5. When the potatoes are nearly cooked, in a separate pan, fry the bacon until crispy. Add the spinach, then cover with a lid and leave to wilt down.

6. Once the potatoes are cooked through, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving the water boiling. In the same pan, add a little more salt, then add the asparagus for 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness). Add the peas to the sauce.

7. While the asparagus is cooking, put the potatoes into a bowl and crush them with a fork.

8. At this stage, I started plating up whilst waiting for my sauce to thicken a little more and the asparagus to cook. Place the crushed potatoes on a plate, top with the spinach and bacon. Top with the fish fillets. Once the asparagus is cooked, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon or drain in a colander. Scatter on the plate and then cover everything with the sauce.


Comments

Popular Posts